Sunday, March 15, 2009

Will my brain ever recover?


Here are the questions of the day: Who is the author of Wide Sargass Sea and for what piece of classic literature does this book claim to act as a prequel? No looking, no cheating, no checking Google; just read and answer the above in one minute or less.

Here is the important part: When you've correctly answered this question with no looking, no cheating, and no checking Google, please send the answer to ETS and tell them to put it in my test booklet.

While you're at it, you can help with a few more: What is the name of the first epistolary novel ever written? In what century was that epistolary novel written? Does anyone know what an epistolary novel is? Just tell me; no looking, no cheating, no checking Google.

If, off the top of your head, you can answer these and 118 other obscure literary questions in fewer seconds than 60 with no looking, no cheating, and no checking Google, you should ask to take the Praxis II ELLC test.

That's what I did on Saturday morning WITHOUT the Arco guide pictured--not that the Arco guide would have done me any good beyond the picture of the sliced-into-fragments brain on the cover. That's what the test did to my own brain: fragment it and then fry it. As of tonight I don't think I'll ever recover, but at least I'll forever remember, sliced up brain and all, the names of Jean Rhys, Samuel Richardson, and an 18th century Pamela, topped off with one we all love: Jane Eyre. I'm still wondering, however, about that strange "epistolary" word, which, despite an adult life completely immersed in the world of words, I had never read nor heard prior to Saturday.

Since we're already caught in this grind, go ahead and check the title of my post. Does its structure reflect MLA or APA guidelines? If you can answer that one with no looking, no cheating, and no checking Google, you will have answered perhaps the easiest question of the day. Shall we keep going?

Sorry. Can't do it. For now, I need a good night's sleep and a brain surgeon.

No comments: