Saturday, October 10, 2009

Another Great Quotation and an Update

I stumbled onto another uplifting quotation for difficult times today, and I did not wish to pass it by without finding a permanent home for it. Bits and Pieces is as good a storage place as any, so here it is:

"The Lord gives us a spirit of hope and a feeling of comfort and confidence that we can overcome the obstacles we face. He has shown the way to gain strength during our struggles. With His assistance, we have the ability to succeed. Listen to His words of counsel and comfort: 'Fear not, little children, for you are mine, and I have overcome the world and none of them that my Father hath given me shall be lost.'"
--L. Lionel Kendrick, "Strength During Struggles," Ensign, Oct 2001, 24

I have not before heard the name of Lionel Kendrick, but he is clearly a wise man. I will do my best to take his words to heart.

On another subject, for those who may still wonder about my fried brain from last March, I have recovered nicely. Despite the grueling nature of the Praxis II test, I managed to score 199 out of 200. Trust me, no one was more surprised than I!

I was very pleased to receive in the mail a Certificate of Excellence for my efforts on that test, but I was even happier with the results of my writing test for the VCLA exam. I spent hours in front of a computer in DC taking the Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment for potential teachers. As I left the center when my time was up, the center director said, "Let me print out your score." Almost immediately her printer began to spit out a document that had my name and identification numbers written boldly at the top. In the middle of the document, the printer ink had formed these words: "Percentage of multiple-choice questions answered correctly on the Writing subtest: 100%."

I have tried and tried to think of another time that I might have achieved a perfect score on a standardized test. Sorry, but there isn't one.


1 comment:

Kelsey Carreon said...

I love that quote Aunt Alice. Congratulations on scoring so well on your tests. I have never been good at taking Standardized tests. Give me an Essay test and I can ace it, but multiple choice always throws me off. Heather on the other hand is a master test taker.