Friday, November 14, 2008

Confessions


Ok, I confess. For the first time ever, I was a little (maybe more than a little) disappointed in Dr. Oz in his most recent appearance Oprah show. The trailers for the show tantalized potential viewers with promises of many kinds beauty treatments that would actually help keep us young. When the show actually aired, very few of the earlier promises ended up being fulfilled.

I hope the new book by co-authors Roizen and Oz is better than the show. The good news and the bad news is that I may or may not purchase the latest book, despite the fact that I have in the past purchased each of the others. This is bad news only because it indicates my current (and unexpected) level of disappointment, something that no doubt will subside over time. It is good news because maybe--just maybe--as the grandmother of four, I am content in the notion that the vanity, money, and time that goes into maintaining an outward appearance really should remain among the least of our concerns. That is not to say that we should stop brushing teeth and washing hair; neatness and cleanliness obviously count. But worries about wrinkles and the perfect creams to make them disappear should not consume the time and money currently devoted to them.

All of the other Roizen-Oz books teach us to become experts at living vibrantly healthy lives from the inside out. Those I will keep to read over and over again.

No comments: