Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Domestic Diva Dedications

This is a shout out for the many Martha Stewarts with whom I've had the great honor of associating lo these multiple decades. Though you may think there's only one Martha Stewart, I beg to differ. I am related to a bunch of them.

The first would include my very own Annie, who has spent the week working on a traditional Thanksgiving dinner for many new friends and business associates in Mexico City. This will be a major feat, given that (a) most of the ingredients necessary for Thanksgiving dinner are often nowhere to be found in Mexico and (b) her kitchen has a single oven and a microwave that must be unplugged if one wishes to use the toaster. Theirs is a very fancy place, but whoever planned the penthouse kitchen wasn't thinking about Thanksgiving dinner when they did it. More power to you, Annie!

And speaking of power, think about my niece Kelsey who is planning Thanksgiving dinner for 30 or more. Yikes! I cannot help but remember the fiascos from decades ago when Kelsey's mom and I would collaborate on the holiday meals. One year, with nine little children under foot, we decided to feed the kids first. What were we thinking?! The adults ended up eating cold turkey (literally), along with cold everything else. Best of luck to you, my domestic diva darling Kelsey. I can't imagine the work involved in your current undertaking. Trust me, there's a reason Kathy and I think there's nothing better than the telephone number to the country club when turkey day rolls around.

Finally, there's my good friend Judy who is also assisting with three meals for 30 people at each meal. As one of the best cooks I know and one of the best sources of advice on any subject imaginable, Judy let me in on a little secret today: Pie Gourmet in Vienna. She promised me I would never be able to make a pie that compares, so today I stopped by to test her theory. Ummm-ummmm. If any of you Martha Stewarts get tired of all the work, find your way to Pie Gourmet, and just pretend you're Martha Stewart. It'll work, I promise.

1 comment:

Kelsey Carreon said...

Aunt Alice... it all went off without a hitch! (Amazingly so) The turkey was done by noon, the stuffing was done the night before, and the potatoes has been cut by my dear husband and soaked in water overnight. My in-law brought the mandatory filipino fare which helped stretch out what I had made. The pies and rolls came from Costco because lets be honest they are better than I could make and for the cost it is totally worth it. I am now a legend in my husband's mind that I pulled it off and still had time to do my hair and make up. (Next year I am opting for going out as you and my parents do though)