Saturday, November 22, 2008

Life


I think I am beginning to get the gist of this blogging stuff. When I have stumbled upon intriguing quotations in the past, I have simply typed them into a Word document, stored them on my computer, and hoped at some future date I might find them again.

Having heard an eye-opening, ear-opening, head-turning quotation spoken just last night, I opened up Word this morning to paraphrase it as closely as possible. When I wondered where I might save it for future reference, my mental lightbulb flashed: Word isn't where this belongs, I thought. This kind of thing belongs on Bits and Pieces.

So here I am, reiterating all the mental processes that brought me here today. The purpose is far more simple. Near the end of the most recent episode of Life, Charlie says, "It is not what we carry with us but what we leave behind that defines who we are."

I have complained since my first encounter with this particular show that the makeup artists put too much black mascara on Damian Lewis, the actor that plays Charlie. Last night, however, when he spoke that one sentence of pure brilliance, I decided to leave the complaints behind.

Thank you, Charlie/Damian. And thanks to any writers and directors who deserve credit for finding the words to put in his mouth. They are, indeed, words to live by.

1 comment:

Kelsey Carreon said...

Aunt Alice.. I love this show! I am hoping it, like so many of the other shows I love, will not be cancelled. The eye liner and mascara was a little too much for me also, but like you I too was able to look past and enjoy the words that came out of Charlie's mouth.